Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Irregular period and high blood pressure?

Since I was 16 and started running track my menstrual cycle has been irregular. I lost my period for 4 months then when I stop running I got my period back but it was odd like very light spoting. Then my senior year I decided to try running again and I started bleeding very heavy and had to stop running. I would bleed heavily for almost 2 months. It was so heavy that I would have to change every 2 hours. I went to the doctor and was put on birth control pills to regulate it. I only took it twice because it made me sick but it was enough to get me back to normal. Two years pass and I'm in college and the same problem happens again and I go almost two months with a heavy period. I call to make an appointment with a doctor and I was advised to go to emergency. When I went to emergency and they checked my blood pressure it was elevated and had never been high before. The ER doctor ordered tests and found I was slightly anemic and gave me a month supply of birth control pills with iron and they got me back to regular for a few months. Then the problem happened again and I scheduled an appointment with a doctor. They took my blood pressure and it was much higher than the reading in the ER. The doctor ordered tests and didn't find anything wrong with me so she said lose a few pounds and see her in a month. I came back and I did lose the few pounds but my blood pressure was higher than before and she had to put me on blood pressure pills and some birth control pills to regulate my period. I decided this time to continue to take it so I wouldn't have to go through this again. Now 8 years have passed and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and this doctor wants to take me off the pill because of my blood pressure but I'm afraid of having irregular periods as it caused severe pain and heavy bleeding. I didn't want to stop taking them until I have children. The blood pressure pills make me sick and I don't like taking them and have stopped for two months now and I feel fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment